How many of us with ADD or ADHD have trouble with our weight? Makes sense, because we tend to be impulsive, lack willpower, have lots of stress and anxiety (and try to eat it away).
Tangent – do we really lack willpower, in the sense of having less than normal, or does our lack result from the fact that our ADD or ADHD causes us to need more willpower than normal?
Anyway, I must report that, for the moment, I have reached my goal weight, and not the most recent one, which I had adjusted upwards in surrender, but my original goal! How, you may be asking. New strategies, of course:
1. drink water before lunch
2. substitute wine for scotch – fewer calories
3. alternate bites – usually have several foods per meal; try not to take two bites in a row of same food. slows me down and I enjoy it more.
4. increased exercise – try to get it in those small open time slots on days I would’ve just skipped it before.
5. minimize bread
6. small lo calorie snacks between meals
7. watch out for the trap- ” well, I —–, so I can——.” (ex had small breakfast – have extra desert)
and I try to remember that this is a health and vanity issue, not a moral issue.
Note that this is NOT a DIET!! Diets do not work, you almost always put on more than you lost. This is a change in eating pattern.
Worked for me – lost 15 lbs. This post is an attempt to “lock it in”. Think how embarrassed I will be if I have to tell you that I gained it all back over Christmas.
I am a psychiatric physician.
I learned I have ADHD at age 64, and then wrote two ADHD books for adults, focusing on strategies for making your life better.
Your Life Can Be Better; strategies for adults with ADD/ADHD
available at amazon.com, or smashwords.com (for e books)
Living Daily With Adult ADD or ADHD: 365 Tips O the Day ( e-book).
This is one tip at a time, one page at a time, at your own pace. It's meant to last a year.
As a child, I was a bully. Then there was a transformation.
Now I am committed to helping people instead abusing them.
The Bully was published in January, 2016.
It's in print or e book, on Amazon.