A New Year with ADHD – What could go wrong?

There’s not a lot new from 2022, other than transcranial magnetic stimulation. This treatment is done by placing electrodes on the scalp. It takes treatments 5 times a week, for 4-8 weeks and is at least somewhat effective for ADHD.  I don’t know the cost or if it is covered by insurance, but it can be done at home. (see Links below)

 2022 studies confirm previous ones:

Methylphenidate ( Ritalin) does not improve performance for vanillas (non ADHDers).

“But with no significant improvement in overall performance, all drugs were associated with a significant reduction in efficiency.” (David Cogill, MD, PhD)  This study included modafinail, a “wakefulness-promoting drug.”

80% – 87% of adults with ADHD have at least one comorbid psychiatric condition:

depression 60%, substance abuse 57%, anxiety 56%.

28% respond best to amphetamines, 16% best to methylphenidate, and 41% an equal response to either stimulant.  Thus in the Adderal shortage, 57% will do fine on methylphenadte (Ritalin).

Best Strategy for Making New Years Resolutions: 


A Compliment for 2022 As It Exits: 

Well, it wasn’t as bad as 21.

Personal Note O the Day: 

I hate to see anything wasted.  I save things that I might use some day.

I call this “saving.”

My wife refers to it as “hoarding.”





About doug with ADHD

I am a psychiatric physician. I learned I have ADHD at age 64, and then wrote two ADHD books for adults, focusing on strategies for making your life better. I just published my first novel, Alma Means Soul. Your Life Can Be Better; strategies for adults with ADD/ADHD available at amazon.com, or smashwords.com (for e books) Living Daily With Adult ADD or ADHD: 365 Tips O the Day ( e-book). This is one tip at a time, one page at a time, at your own pace. It's meant to last a year. As a child, I was a bully. Then there was a transformation. Now I am committed to helping people instead abusing them. The Bully was published in January, 2016. It's in print or e book, on Amazon.
This entry was posted in adhd and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to A New Year with ADHD – What could go wrong?

  1. Scott
    giving things away where they’ll be used is a great strategy. I’m thinking of Homewise here.
    As always, thank you for commenting
    best wishes


    • sfmarckx says:

      Thank you Doug.
      My wife uses “Buy nothing”, but it goes through Facebook, which I have been trying to stay away from because I would get sucked in and not get anything else done. I’m not familiar with Homewise. I think maybe choosing one type of item that seems to be one of the worst and then coming up with a strategy/solution for that and making a habit around it… might be a step in the right direction.
      Thank you for the nudge to actually start trying to figure this out!
      Happy New Year!
      All the best, Scott

      Liked by 1 person

      • scott
        you’re very welcome.
        I think Homewise is a local thing, housing for the poor. your small steps strategy (choosing one type) sounds great.
        Happy New Year – gotta be better
        thank you for commenting


  2. sfmarckx says:

    Happy New Year Doug!
    I’m with you on not wasting things and my wife is probably with your wife on considering it hoarding. It is one of the things I am searching for solutions on. Maybe ways to easily find better homes for some stuff instead of my own home, but where it would actually get used. Another project that isn’t very shiny (read procrastinate). Lots to learn still!
    All the best in 2023 and beyond to you and yours!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.