Does Marijauna help with ADHD?
I recently answered this question about marijuana (weed, pot) on another website. My answer stimulated a lot of controversy.
My answer began, “I don’t recommend marijuana. “
Apparently some people took this as my being against marijuana, against marijuana users, and against themselves personally. Some were quite passionate. Several said weed really helped them with ADHD. That’s personal experience and I have no reason to disbelieve them, although I’ve never heard, seen, or read of this anywhere else.
What I meant was, ‘I do not recommend marijuana for ADHD.’
It’s possible that some of the responders are involved in the marijuana business. If so, they’d be more knowledgeable than I am, but is it possible that they might also be a little bit biased?
1. Marijuana can be helpful for a number of things, chronic pain, for example, where it’s approved for medical use.
2. I’ve seen no research supporting use of marijuana for ADHD nor any patients who it helped with ADHD. I’ve seen some research against it. Research reports are based on averages. There are always some exceptions, people at one end or the other of the bell shaped curve.
3. Research shows that marijuana is harmful to the developing brain, up to around age 25. This is slightly controversial. Marijuana can cause various problems, can be addictive, can precipitate psychosis in susceptible adolescents. It’s probably not as bad as alcohol. Both are damaging with heavy chronic use.
4. I support legalization of marijuana, for several reasons.
5. I think CBD oil can supply many of the same benefits as marijuana without the drawbacks (and without the high.) I use it to help with leg cramps and sometimes with insomnia.
6. There are many ways to use marijuana without smoking it. Smoking any substance is bad for your health.
7. Research shows that it can be difficult to know what strain of marijuana you’re buying, and that there may not be much difference between the various strains. This is controversial also.
8. If you’re using pot for ADHD and it helps, great, as long as it’s not causing you problems (check this with someone who knows you well, preferably a non-user) and if you’re not smoking it. Still, I’d worry about long term effects if you’re a heavy daily user. Have you tried CBD? A few people who use CBD for other medical reasons say it works best if there’s a little THC with it.
Song O the Day link
#ADHD, @addstrategies, @adhdstrategies, @dougmkpdp