New ADHD Research
This study is over my head, but I’m trying to summarize it as best I can. For the many of you more astute than me, the link for the whole study is below.
A new very large genetic study looked at eight psychiatric disorders:
A gene related to the development of the nervous system is a risk factor for all eight. Another gene that regulates splicing is a risk factor in seven.
Some genetic risk factors for psychiatric problems are common in the general population; ADHD and depression share 44% of those genes, which helps understand why we ADHDers have depression more often than vanillas, although clearly there are other reasons also. (We’re talking about gene variants, abnormal or ‘bad ‘ or mutated genes. We all share the same genes, but sometimes in different flavors.)
This is new scientific evidence that ADHD can persist over life and be present in adults (If there has been any question about that?)
These genes are usually active in the second trimester of pregnancy, a crucial stage in the development of the nervous system. (ADHD is a neurodevelopmental disorder, which begins in the uterus. I don’t believe in adult onset ADHD.)
Strangely, some of the genetic variations that are risk factors in one disorder can be protective in other disorders. (ie: If gene A increases your risk of disorder X, you may be less likely to get disorder Y. Bewildering.)
Alteration in a single DNA nucleotide (SNP) explains less than a third of the genetic effect, the other 2/3 may correspond to other uncommon genetic changes (such as abnormal number of copies, et al.)
ADHD has a 75% genetic load and the other 25% is due to environmental factors. (These genes cause someone to be at increased risk for ADHD, but they might not develop it without being exposed to certain things in the environment, or they might anyway. This relates to epigenetics, where the activity of certain genes is regulated. Almost all psychiatric disorders are related to a host of genetic risk factors; the chance of developing it increases with the number of those you have. It is a rare psychiatric disorder that is caused by one specific gene, or probably even by just a few.)
Personal Comments O the Day:
All this complicated science is making my brain hurt.
I’m plugging away at the ADHD book, but the novel keeps pulling me away from it, and then I got addicted to doing genealogy again. Still, making progress.
Confused Comments O the Day:
Brain research seems to be shifting away from specific brain regions, over to networks. I may try to explain networks soon. The concept would be easier to explain if I understood it.
If you have a different opinion than me, or can correct my understanding, or can explain something, please comment and help us out.
Dr. John Battaglia – coping with the quarantine – excellent.
@addstrategies #adhd #add @dougmkpdp
very cool. i’d like to learn some more about networks and those play into adhd. i’ve actually just recently become acquainted with what’s being called the “default mode network” it’s kinda neat
I’m struggling to understand networks, will try to do a post later if I have any success at that. this science seems to be growing exponentially, very hard to keep up, although not so much specifically for ADHD.
how can we get in touch, for your easier method?
thank you for commenting.
I’ve been sending emails to , have they not been coming through?
i’m not sure what’s going on with email so let’s try this.
i uploaded a .pdf version here:
let me know if that works for you. if it does, feel freel to download it to your desktop so it’s something that you can reference anytime (Download button at the top-right of the page; from there, Direct Download).
Marinas brother-Michael Duchowny-an important figure in pediatric neurology-says-except for trauma-all disorders are either genetic or infectious We are hanging out in Miami for the duration-doing well.
Sent from my iPad
trauma, or genetic, or infectious – and do our genes play a part in how we respond to truama, or to infectious agents, or to infection?
Miami sounds safer. Good for you.
thank you for commenting