Stimulants for ADHD
One of the common misconceptions and falsehoods posted on the net are that the stimulants are the same as street drugs. Not so.
amphetamines vs methamphetamine
Also, I believe that research shows:
- Stimulants are rarely abused by people who actually have ADHD.
- Stimulants do not give students an unfair advantage. They do not improve performance in non ADHD people.
- None the less, there is a high rate of stimulant mis use in colleges. (It just doesn’t help.)
- Treatment of ADHD with stimulants does not lead to drug abuse, and some research shows that treatment actually reduces drug abuse.
- There is lot of garbage and nonsense on the internet.
Misrepresentations about ADHD
ADHD doesn’t exist?
Ignorance about ADHD doesn’t prevent opinions.
“I love hearing your opinion about ADHD!”
The ADD ADHD brain is different. And very busy.
@addstrategies #adhd #add @dougmkpdp
About doug with ADHD
I am a psychiatric physician.
I learned I have ADHD at age 64, and then wrote two ADHD books for adults, focusing on strategies for making your life better. I just published my first novel, Alma Means Soul.
Your Life Can Be Better; strategies for adults with ADD/ADHD
available at amazon.com, or smashwords.com (for e books)
Living Daily With Adult ADD or ADHD: 365 Tips O the Day ( e-book).
This is one tip at a time, one page at a time, at your own pace. It's meant to last a year.
As a child, I was a bully. Then there was a transformation.
Now I am committed to helping people instead abusing them.
The Bully was published in January, 2016.
It's in print or e book, on Amazon.
This entry was posted in add
, educate yourself
and tagged @addstrategies
, ADD symptoms
, adult add
, adult adhd
, amphetamine abuse
, attention deficit
, stimulant abuse
. Bookmark the permalink
madelyn- thank you for your comment. and your support. if you would like to elaborate on your thoughts experience research i could use it as a new post.
Great article. Pharmaceutical use and recreational use are TOTALLY different things – and self-medication is a third. I’m with you on your five points above too. My research shows that they are RIGHT ON – especially #5.
(Madelyn Griffith-Haynie – ADDandSoMuchMore dot com)
– ADD Coach Training Field founder; ADD Coaching co-founder –
“It takes a village to educate a world!”