I just did a guest post for Naill of Ireland. Here it is:
“Ten” Basic “Facts” About ADD ADHD
- ADD ADHD exists. Our brains function differently than other peoples. This has been shown by brain imaging.
- Our main difficulty is an inability to control our focus. We are either unfocused or him:hyperfocused. Most of our difficulties come from that.
- Thus we tend to be distractible, impulsive, irritable and unreliable. We forget things and lose things. We procrastinate. We get eagerly involved in something and then quickly lose interest. We have trouble finishing things. And so on and so on. We each have our own individual pattern of problems.
- This can make our lives very difficult, but there are things we can do to make our lives better.
- Medication helps many people who have ADD ADHD, but it is not for everyone. It primarily helps with focus.
- Strategies are very helpful. We identify a problem that causes us enough trouble to make it worth working on. We devise a strategy. We persist in that strategy until it becomes a habit. (The problem must be specific – for example, “I lose my keys.” not “I lose things.”)
- Many physicians, psychologists, and psychiatrists do not understand ADD ADHD. Many of them do not understand that they do not understand. Certified ADD ADHD coaches can be very helpful.
- We need to educate ourselves about our condition and how we can cope. There is a lot of good information on the net. There is a lot of garbage on the net.
I recommend three books: Driven To Distraction, The ADHD Effect On Marriage, and most humbly, my own, Your Life Can Be Better, primarily about using strategies. I recommend three websites: Naill’s, and ADDerworld.ning.com, and even more humbly, this one.
- The basic basics: You need an appointment book and a to do list, or their electronic equivalents, and you need to know how to use them. You needed sleep, structure, strategies, exercise, and outdoors.
- Every person is unique. You need to find what works for you.
- Your life can be better.
Note: Sometimes people confuse their opinions with facts. I call these ten “facts” because some of them are truly facts and some of them are more my opinion.
Note: There are three kinds of people, those who can count and those who can’t.
When my brain works at all.
to lay out posts the way they want, and the rest of us.
Great Bonus Tip O the Day: