Continuing the series on how to study with ADD or ADHD. Abhi reports:
I did my exam well. Could’ve done better, but did good. Now I know that desperate efforts never yield good results. We have to plan well in advance and do stuff. And If only We can make the effort to consistently follow the plan, there’s no stopping us!
This experiment taught me some real good stuff about me.
1. It told me why last ditch efforts seem to save us, but aren’t good enough to help us reach higher goals!
2. Breaks are important. But planned breaks are more important. We have to recognise our max attention time and plan breaks accordingly. Most of us unusually prolong our breaks and don’t seem to get back to studies. That has to be encountered. One simple way that works for me is “3-song playlist” method, that you can find in the posts above.
3. Have one book at a time. You should never have to get back to your books, but to your ‘book’. Choose smaller books when you write notes, and number them. Make a list of these notes and what chapters you have in which notebook.
4. Relax everyday. Get some exercise, and chill. You can’t keep studying all day… we just aren’t wired to work that way.
5. YOU WILL FAIL. You will fail many a times when you try all this and more when you start studying. But learn to accept those failures. The only thing that is important is NEVER GIVE UP. If you read the above posts, I gave up within 48 hours of trying. But, then, when i lifted the pressure off me, i did a lot more better.
6. We ADDERS must be God’s favourite kids! (I don’t know why !!!) He seems to send us all the ‘luck’ packages he has… If you have done your work, luck will work out in your favor too.
Abhi has some really good stuff there. I love the part about accepting the inevitable failure and going on.
Distractions and college was bad! but i was at the wrong school and in the wrong major! clik
tons of tips from keath low clik
Dr. sarkis on getting by in college clik