Below is my entry into the fray provoked by an article ‘Why French Children Don’t Have ADHD’, which discussed child rearing methods and the benefits of spanking, among other things. Lots of interesting comments.
1. I don’t know the best way to raise kids, apparently some others do yet they’re not in agreement. It probably partly depends on the particular kid and the particular parent.
2. I don’t think spanking is a good idea, ( i was spanked a lot, and also spanked my kids) but I’m not sure it is particularly harmful either if done “reasonably” , tho could be. It certainly didn’t increase my respect for the spankers; in fact, quite the opposite.
3. It seems to me that the medications are more to help the kid focus than to ‘control’ them, and then the behavior will improve, although they also seem to have at least some direct effect on the hyperactivity.
4. I have spent some time in france; love it but can’t say that i know much about the french or how they raise their kids or the incidence of ADD/ADHD. would guess there are a lot of different parenting approaches since there are a lot of different parents.
5.Research shows that the brain in ADD/ADHD is different, from early on. Possibly this is the result of the raising, but it’s doubtful.
6. Seems to me that a lot of people forget to say “seems to me” and that even if you hold an opinion very strongly, that does not make it a fact.
best wishes to all of us who struggle with these issues.
ps i am trying to connect with anonymous who has a son in medical school, hope you will contact me
ps 2 i am very grateful to you who comment on this blog. don’t be shy!!
the child is french. for the fray clik