1. that ADD doesn’t exist – because I have it, others have it, and research shows difference in our brains from “vanilla” folks
2. that it is just a matter of character, of willpower, or of needing to “just try harder” – see above, plus I know some pretty impressive people with ADD or ADHD
3. that it is caused by food additives – there is no scientific support for this
4. that the moon walk was a fake – tho it is pretty incredible if you think about it
5. that vaccines cause autism – has been pretty well disproven; the British scientist who perpetrated this hoax has been discredited and lost his license for faking his data
6. that the earth is flat – evidence is pretty strong against this
7. that “natural medicines” are safer than manufactured ones – they contain the same chemicals and are produced under less safe and supervised conditions
8. that ritalin is addictive – tho it can be abused
9. that intelligent people can be so gullible – probably me included sometimes; we often confuse our beliefs with fact. We found a belief on emotion and then search for data to support it and ignore or reject any data that does not.
10. that certain groups of people are less than others -( tho I am willing to consider the possibility in the case of smokers)
I do believe that science is far from perfect, but that evidence is preferable to intuition or urban myths.
“If ignorance is bliss, then why do we see so many unhappy people?” -unknown cynic
too much information clik here
dr hughes on myths clik here
Bryan’s post on myths clik here
ps I do not wish to offend anyone; you state your cherished beliefs and I’ll state mine.